Suburban Girl Eats: From Big City Eats to Hometown Favourites

October 16, 2012

(Wo)Man vs. Food: The Works Burger

When it comes to burgers, there is nothing but love here. My next belt-busting adventure took me to The Works, a gourmet burger chain meets industrial cool with restaurants in Oakville, Ottawa, Guelph and along the Danforth.

My favourite touch was these cool salt and pepper shakers. 

With over 70 burgers, there is literally something for everybody and with a choice of beef, chicken, turkey, portbello, veggie or elk, you could actually go every day of the year and not have the same thing twice. Needless to say, read the menu before you go.

This place is all in the details. You burger is dished out in a metal baking pan and drinks are served in pyrex measuring cups- I somehow managed to guzzle down four cups of Diet Coke. Don't bother lecturing me on aspartame, healthy amigos. If you are feeling full-cal (c'mon, you're here already), try the 2001 Odyssey Shake: caramel, peanut butter, oreo cookie goodness. After all, dessert first never hurts. 


I anticipate my decision in the burger department will measure up to those I make in prep for my wedding day (should I somehow fall into matrimony.) In the end, I said "I do" to the Dead Ringer. Bbq brisket, smokey barbecue sauce, havarti and an onion ring- bring it!



And this is where the real (wo)man versus food battle began. I seriously contemplated my choice of poutine, and stared down upon the pound of meaty goodness. Would it be easier to get down if it was drenched in their beechhouse sauce, aka mayo of the gods? Could I pass off the meat sweats as an adorable glory of happiness? 

Excuse me while I unhinge my jaw...

The burger was juicy, despite contrary reports by haters Yelpers, and that single piece of lettuce made me feel a little less carnivore. As I rounded up to the second half of the behemoth, I realized I had hit that "wall" that Adam Richman does as he plows through a five-pound burger. It was evident, I was still in the little leagues. In an attempt to persevere, I continued before finally admitting defeat in the last three delicious bites. 

In shame, I went home, paid my sister to untie my shoes for me and located the closest stretchy pants in the house. #truth

0 comments:

Post a Comment